Falmouth was established in 1774 and replaced Martha Brae as parochial capital of the
recently-formed parish of Trelawny. Named for the birthplace of
Governor Trelawney, after
whom the parish was named. The town was founded in 1774 on land
belonging to Edward Barrett and was originally to be known as
Barrett Town. It was laid out in as a regular grid in keeping with
this Georgian period, with its respect for order and symmettry.
A number of proposals for restoring Falmouth have been put forward and one project (for restoring small houses) is in progress: (see slide show). There are a number of key landmarks in Falmouth which need restoration: among them are the Court House, the Kiln, the Market, five large houses -at least- (the Baptist Manse, the Barrett House, the Cox House, the Tharp House and No. 1 Tharpe Street). In addition, there is a whole area around Fort Balcarres, with the Barracks of 1811 which now house the Falmouth All-age School. Not to mention the William Knibb Church and the Anglican Church of St Peter the Apostle. Also noteworthy is the fact that Falmouth had the first piped water supply in the western hemisphere.
A number of sites have
information on historic Falmouth. Try also this
Accommodation at Falmouth may be had at a number of places, including Falmouth Resort, (954 3391); Trelawny Beach Hotel, (954 2450); Time and Place (954 4371) We value your feedback and comments: